According to legislation, veterinary services are an essential service, but with limitations.
We are available for emergency work and will provide veterinary support to food-producers during this time. Certain services will still be provided (see list below).
Please assist us to comply with these regulations by adhering to the following protocol:
Our reception staff will ask you two questions when you phone in:
1. Is anyone in your household sick or known to be infected with COVID-19?
2. Have you been exposed to anyone with known symptoms of COVID or who have tested positively?
Besides the other services listed below, we will only see genuine emergencies, and it will be at the vet’s discretion whether a patient requires immediate attention or not.
Other services offered include:
- Puppy booster vaccinations (to prevent parvovirus)
- Humane euthanasia
- Fulfillment of scripts for chronic medication
- Dog and cat food
- Tick and flea control remedies
- Production animal (dairy, beef cattle and sheep) medication.
(Annual vaccinations and sterilisations/elective surgery will not be offered during this time. These can be delayed until the lockdown is lifted).
Protocol when visiting us:
- The door will be locked. Please announce your arrival but remain outside until called.
- Food and drugs will be brought out to you.
- Payment options include EFT or Zapper. We have card facilities too, but non-contact transactions are preferred.
- If you bring your pet to the clinic, please spray your hands for your own protection. Only one person may accompany an animal.
- If you have a cough or sore throat, please wear a face mask.
Humansdorp Veterinary Clinic is a four-vet private veterinary practice, dealing with multiple species, including dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, horses, pigs and wildlife. From the species mix it can be seen that our clients include owners of companion animals [pets and horses], commercial farmers [milk, beef, pork, wool & mutton] and wildlife ranchers. We also do a tremendous amount of animal welfare work (about 96 hours per month i.e. about 12 work days per month).
We are based in Humansdorp and serve the area between the mountains and the sea from the Tsitsikamma in the west to Thornhill in the east and in the case of pig farms as far as Queenstown, Aliwal North, Cradock and Graaff Reinet. Wildlife work also takes us further afield.